Thursday, January 21, 2010

And another day goes by...

OK, before I get started picking up with another delightful day in Costa Rica, I just have to say that I REALLY hate the first month of a semester at school...because my bank account always drops dramatically that month b/t paying off tuition and fees, and buying books...plus I just had to register for the VCLA and the VRA (the last two exams I have to take in order to get my teaching license...)and both of those cost over $100 each...UGH!!!  I can't wait to not be a student anymore!

In other news, I have completed two preliminary online applications for both York County Schools and Department of Defense Education Activities (DoDEA)! OMG I can't believe it's time for that already.  I guess this weekend I should get cracking on the other school districts I am interested in.

OK back on track with Costa Rica now lol.

Day 5: January 13, 2010

My girls! Sisters Alondra y Neilin
Today has been exhausting, yet pretty good.  The kids are getting more pushy though!  It can really wear me out....They are ALWAYS asking for our cameras, gum, candy, water....you get the idea.  I feel like I can't even reach into my bag without a swarm of children around me saying "Camera! Camera! Photo! Photo! Tienes chicla? Tienes agua?"  One of the older boys was even bold enough to simply grab my water bottle out of my bag without asking and drink the entire thing...I would have given it to him but it made me a little uncomfortable that he thought it was OK to just reach in and take it.  With all of this interest in our stuff, I am a little worried that we're now more of a distraction than a message.  And even if it's not about our stuff, the kids would rather sit and talk to us than listen to the stories now...and in the evenings the kids are so busy trying to talk with us, get things from us, or play with us that they are obviously not paying attention and they are distracting the adults.  My prayer has turned into asking "God, defeat these distractions!"

<-- Marielle just as she's taking my camera...she ran off with it taking random pictures all over the neighborhood.

One of the random pictures she took that I actually kinda like...--->





Telling her to give me my camera back!!!


I got it back and all's well!  Me and the little munchkin!


Iguana outside our room!



We had our second afternoon session with the girls, and this time spoke on how we are each made in God's image and how keeping that in perspective we need to be building each other up and encouraging other members of God's creation.  We had them write "warm fuzzies" (encouraging notes) to each other and some of them wrote some to members of our team.  We also gave away a few prizes like jewelry and nail polish.

Girls writing warm fuzzies -->

Tomorrow is our last day doing ministry in the neighborhood of Ceibas and the big question that hangs in my mind is...have we done enough?  Have I done enough?  Can anyone ever do enough?  I don't feel ready to leave this place or the work we've been doing here.

Kristel!!!  The little monkey of the bunch.  Favorite Kristel quote: "Tienes chicla?...[no]...Chocolate?...[no]....Agua?" And as always instead of calling your name to get your attention she swats at you while screaming "Aah!"









Well...before I wrap this up I also wanted to note that one of my friends had the great idea of me trying a new recipe every week as a part of my whole New Year's resolution to try something new once a week...so I'm open to recipe ideas although I do have tons of recipes that I haven't touched yet.

Anyway, ciao for now! Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment